Sunday, September 8, 2013

Week : Structures

Our prompt for our second class was structure. While this can be interpreted different ways, I took it as a physical shape. I actually have photographed several examples of structure and will share them below.

I started with because it isn't the typical type of structure you think of when you say you are photographing structures. In a Frank Lloyd Wright kind of way this very utilitarian water fountain has structure.

I love the plum color of this old building. It has stood in Ashland since 1900. That means it not only predates the New Deal, but it also stood up to all the 1937 flood could muster. You can barley make out the concrete flood wall just beyond the white truck.

The bell tower of the Episcopal Church in Ashland.

You might ask why I included this mundane looking stone building. The reason is it was a WPA project in 1936. It was built out of stone quarried in Boyd County Kentucky. It serves now, as it did then, as the bathrooms for Central Park. 

I included this too because it isn't what you think of with structure. The linear lines leading to the fountain caught my eye. These are the pavers in front of the West Virginia Capitol building.

Obviously, this is an image of the West Virginia Capitol building. The gold leaf was glowing on this beautiful Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment